Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A Story of Forgiveness and True Love


A man who had come home late from work decided to give his girlfriend a call just to ask how her day was and to make plans to see each other the following day. When she picked up the phone, though, she was crying. The man asked her what was wrong but he could barely make out anything that she was saying. The woman asked the man to come over so that she could tell him what happened. The man was very kind and caring and agreed to come over. He stepped out into the frigid winter air and trudged 3 miles through the snow to her house.

When he arrived at her house, she invited him inside and they talked for a couple of hours. The woman told her boyfriend that she had something to tell him but that she was too afraid to explain it. The man who was full of gentleness and love took her in his arms as she started to cry and shake. "I'm so ashamed," she said as she lifted her head from her hands. "I just don't think you'll understand. You will never look at me the same way again if you knew what I did." The man, after a period of silence asked her to just please tell her what happened.

The woman's tears fell softly on her nightgown as she told the man everything. She poured out to him every little secret that nobody else had known. The man said nothing but continued to hold her tightly in his arms and rock her gently back and forth.

It was nearly four o'clock in the morning when she had finished explaining everything to him. She felt apprehensive, wondering what he was thinking, how he was going to react, would he still love her, would he ever look at her the same way again?

Again after a long silence the man spoke. "My dear," he said. "I love you and care about you deeply. You poured out your entire heart and soul to me. You told me things that no one else knew about yourself. You trusted me completely. You held nothing back from me. I have never loved you more than I do right now, even though I know what you did and I forgive you. Never be afraid to come to me with anything. I am always here for you whenever you need to talk. I will hold you in my arms until your tears are dried from your eyes and your heart is light. I love you and will never leave your side."

Afterward the man left and trudged back through the now freshly fallen snow. He walked into his house, placed his coat and hat on the coat hanger, walked upstairs and went to bed to sleep the day away.


To me this man in the story is Christ in the flesh. He willing left his own comfortable warm home to walk through the snow just to be with his girlfriend who was going through a rough time. He comforted her, listened to her tell everything that she was ashamed of and forgave her for every bad thing that she had said she had done. This man truly loved this woman. This story is a reminder that we shouldn't be afraid to come to Christ and one another with our problems. We should be confident in each others' love and mercy.

This story is also a reminder of how we should be to one another. We should be just like the man in this story. We should be Christ to one another, listening intently to one anothers shortcomings and failures and then still love them and forgive them for everything they had done against us. We are called to be Christ to one another and to be open to each other, to share in each others' sorrow and joy and most of all to love one another wholeheartedly, holding nothing back and not being afraid to forgive.

2 comments: